Feb 4 – Witley

Dear mother and sister

Just a few lines to let you know I am well. I hope this letter finds you well. I guess you have lots of snow to plough through around home now. It is quite like winter here a little snow on the ground which makes it very slippery.

Well I believe I will be away from here by the 20th. The O.C. told us the other morning that any man who had seen service in France he would get them away home by the 20th of Feb. Any that don’t get away by this will be keep here until after May for the Battns that is in France they are going to start home in the beginning of March.

I have met some of the boys that came from around home lately. George Morrison he is in this reserve and I met George McFarland and George Kent from Eady and Ed Sykes is in the same reserve as them. I saw them all on Sunday. Herb Crooke was here with me but he had to go back to France yesterday morning. I guess Clarence will be home by now. I bet he will give the people some line ha ha.

Well it is not lonesome here anyway. I was over to Jack McNaughton’s room last night, you know he was my section commander in France for a long time. He is now a Lieut with the reserve here. He will make the best of an officer. If some of the officers had been as good as him in France there would be a lot more poor fellows alive today.

Well not many days now until my birthday. It is on Friday. I pretty nearly forget how old I am. 23 I believe.

Well I must ring off do not be worrying for I am quite well and will soon be home. Bye bye with love from your loving son and brother Bruce xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment