Jan 19 – Basingstoke, England

Dear mother and sister

Just a few lines to let you know my ankle is better. I am just waiting to go to the Reserve any day now. I can have 12 days leave if I want it but I don’t think I will take it. It would cost me about 50 dollars. I have got that much coming to me but I don’t think I will take it. I could have a better time around home on that money than here.

I hope this letter will find you well. I guess you are looking for me coming home every day. Ok it will not be long now until I get there. Of course you will get word a few days before I get there. I will not take you on a bit of a surprise.

It will soon be two years since I came away. I will be back before the first of April. It has seemed about like five years to me. The boys that has put in over four years out here must think it is a long time since they left home. But believe me I have saw some great sights on this side of the pond. I will have a lot to tell you of what I saw when I get back.

I saw one of the Eady boys this morning. He is in this hospital just come from France too. Herb Spence I guess you mind him. He is not at all sick he is able to walk around too.

I was at a good concert in the dining hall last night. I will put a list of the program in the letter.

Has Alexs been down lately. Hope they are all well. I guess they find it pretty hard to get down very often to see you when the snow is so deep in the winter.

Have you still got the same teacher. I thought Tom or Alf Cowan would have been married to her before this.

Say there has been a lot of the boys got married over here. But not Bruce ha ha. They don’t catch me like some of the poor simps. You know the girls all think that the Canadians are so rich and they are all just crazy on going to Canada. They think it is so easy to make money there. Well I think I had better ring off. Bye bye from your loving son and brother Bruce xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment