March 2 - #2 Military District, Concentration Wing, Kimmel Park Rhyl

Dear mother and sister

Just a few lines to let you know I am well hoping this letter finds you well.

I am still waiting here for a sailing, it has been over a week since the last one left. It looks as if it may be another week before we get away. The third division is started to go home. It is some of old Curries’ doings, sending them home as most of the Battns are nearly all Conscrips. There is a lot of men here waiting to get home that has seen from three to four years over here and if they do not soon get them home and be sending those Conscrips home they’re going to have a fine time in this camp. It would only take about two words to cause a fine riot.

They are telling us they will try and get most of us in this camp away this week but we are not sure of that. They may be just telling us that to keep us quiet. But we have got to make the best of it. I will get home soon as I can. Maybe it will be better for us to get home in the spring, We will not feel the cold as bad then after being used to this country.

Well I was out for a nice walk this afternoon. Art O’Shea and I were through a big field. We saw 18 deers. I don’t mean two legged ones, of course there is lots of them around here too. Say did you ever hear the language of the Welsh people talk. They have one of their own. Of course they talk English too.

Say you should see the way they do their hair up in this country. In big knobs behind their head. It is anything but nice. If they would do the hair up like some of the French girls do they would not be bad looking. But oh man they are great for dressing up in good clothes. Well I guess you have been looking for me coming along every day. Well I hope it does not be long until I be there.

I hear Clarence is home, has he had much to say. I guess he has pretty nearly told you all about the big war. See if my story and his is anything alike when I tell you how I found things. I think this will be my last letter from England. The next word may be a wire that I will be home in a day or two. Well bye bye with love from your loving son and brother Bruce xxxx

Ps I will be with you a few days after this letter I expect. Bye bye B.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment