1919

Jan 2 – France, South African General Hospital, Ward 32, Abbeville


Dear mother and sister

Just a few lines to let you know where I am. I am not at all sick but have got another one of those nasty old boils on my ankle. I came from #5 Convalescent Depot Cayeux up here.

I was just going to go to the Base the next day.

But am not in a bad place here. I expect to go to England in a few days. They lanced the boil the Tuesday morning and it is doing nicely. Of course I don’t think they will let me walk on it for a few days for it would be hap to make it worse again. But it will soon be better.

(incomplete)


Jan 5 – France, South African General Hospital

Dear mother and sister

Just a line to let you know I am coming along fine. My ankle is almost better. I am up walking a round on it now, there is no soreness in it now at all. But they will not let me go out until where he lanced it is healed right up again.

I hope this letter finds you well. I know it must be quite a job for you to get along now. I know just about how deep the snow is around home. I can just see mountains of it. It worries me to think of you trying to get wood and stuff in the snow. And me out here doing nothing at all.

But if I get home soon I will make up for it. I will get right down to work this spring.

Well this is the first Sunday in the new year and it seems a dull day in here. But I guess by next Sunday I will be back at my Base or in England. The sooner I get there the sooner I get home.

I just had a good laugh a few minutes ago. We have a stove in the ward and it is trying its best to smoke us out today. And the Sister came along and she thought she would stop it. And when she was poking at it, the stove pipes came down and we all started to laugh. That got her angry. So we had a good laugh then. She is an old maid and cannot stand much teasing and I guess you have an idea how much a bunch of boys can tease.

How is Allies. I hope they are keeping well. I wrote them a letter a few days ago. How is Cowans getting along. Alf or Tom not married yet. How is the old people keeping well.

I have never had any mail since I left the Battn. You see how moving around a little bit put a fellow’s mail out badly. I will be getting letters that you sent after I get home.

Well I must ring off. Do not be worrying for I am quite well. Will likely be on my way home by the time you get this letter.

Bye bye from your loving son and brother Bruce xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment