Christmas Morning - #5 Convalescent Depot France

Dear mother and sister

Just a few lines to let you know I am well hoping that you are well and spending a real merry Xmas. I know it would be a much better one if we were all at home together. But when we can not be we have got to make the best of it and I hope that next Christmas we will all be at home together and it be one of the best we ever spent. We will make up for those two I have been away.

Well this is a peach of a day here. I was to church service in the YMCA this morning. Just got back and thought it was my best chance to write you a few lines because there is concerts on and picture shows all afternoon and evening.

And I would feel mad at myself if I did not write you a few lines today. You will have to accept this letter as a Christmas present from me for there is nothing out here that I see fit to send as a present. Well in about a half a hour we are having our great dinner and we are having tea in the different huts this evening. There is the YMCA hut, Scottish hut, Salvation Army hut, Church Army hut and Catholic hut. I do not know which one I am going to yet. I will tell you in my next letter which one I was at and what all we had to eat.

Last Christmas I had in a little town called Divine. We were out for a little rest just then. We used to call Divine our home in France. The people were good to us there the two or three little rests we spent. We had turkey and chicken last year but I do not expect it this year.

I am looking for to go to the base. I believe they have got to send us there before we are sent to England to our demobilising camp. I expect to go from here some day this week. I think they will start demobilisation up in the beginning of the new year.

I did not tell you what groups I was classed in. 28 for service group, 1 for occupation group. I know my occupation group means a lot. They want to get us back so we will be ready to start work on the farms in the spring.

I do not know but I have a good idea that I will be home about the first of Feb. I have not got any mail from you since I left the Battn. But am sure watching for it now. I got a letter two days ago from Myrtle. It had followed me to the hospital from #6 Con Camp from there here.

How is Allies I hope they were down to have Christmas with you. For I know it would be lonely for you two at home alone.

Cheer up. We will all be at home for Christmas 1919. How is Ada as gay as ever. Have you had many cutter drives this winter. I will be home to have a few before the snow is gone.

Myrtle told me Lizzie was over and stay a night with her and that you enjoyed the show you were at. I wish that you could have come to some of the shows with me that I was at in London when I was on leave. Well mother get the hens laying and just see how well I like hen fruit when I get back.

Well I must ring off. Happy new year to you and heaps of love from your loving son and brother Bruce xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment