Oct 2 – Edinburgh

Dear mother and sister

Just a few lines to say I landed in Edinburgh this morning ok. It seems good to be free a few days. For tied down sturdy to duty is pretty hard although I never feel it that way. I was awfully lucky on getting my pass when I did for we are still in some very heavy fighting. I was sent back from the front line the night before the morning our Battn went over the top. They sent me to the horse lines till my pass came through. I had word the morning before I left that the major of my company had been killed, also my platoon officer and the corporal that took charge of my section. When I was sent back all the rest of my section got blightys but one. My platoon Sergt got a blighty also and my pal that was made L/Cpl when I was had to take charge of the platoon. But I do not know how he will be by this time for they are still fighting hard. I know I am awfully lucky to be out of it.

Down below the writing room where I am writing some body is playing on the piano. It makes a fellow feel lonely. I can just imagine I hear Lizzie playing away at the organ. Tell her to practice lots for I will be home this winter to listen to her play.

They give me a nice little bit of money before I left France a check of $75 and your way is paid where ever you go on the train. Of course it cost a quite of a bit to carry a fellow through a day, 36 cents for a bed at night, 30 cents for breakfast, 36 cents for dinner and 30 cents for supper. I bought a watch today that cost me ten dollars and I bought a pair of boots yesterday that cost me 8.50 so money slides over here and I intend getting some pictures taken tomorrow if it is good and bright.

I expect to get a whole bag of mail by the time I get back. I guess I will be back about the time you receive this letter. I have a little diary I would like to have sent home but I am a little afraid if I send it by mail it might go astray. I will see later. Well I must ring off. I want to go down to the gardens in about a half a hour. That’s where you can get your pick of all the nice Scottish Jeans. Ha ha. They would like to get a chance to come to Canada. They think it is such a rich place and wonderful to make money in. Well bye bye I will write soon again from your loving son and brother Bruce xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment