Oct 9 – Edinburgh

Dear mother and sister

Just a few more lines to say I am quite well and having a good time although it has rained every day since I came here some time through the day. I tell the Scottish people this is an awful country to live in where it is raining every day. Just to hear them argue they say if I was Scottish I wouldn’t mind it, that it is just a Scottish mist. I think I can consider myself very lucky to be here instead of fighting out in France in the mud and rain.

Well mother I guess you and Lizzie have been real busy this fall digging potatoes and getting the oats in and stuff. I believe you told me in one of your letters that the apple crop was very poor. Did you have many potatoes and where did you sell them. How is Ada coming up. I supposed she is pretty gay.

Had you many chickens this year. Now mother please don’t you send them in parcels to me for it takes them too long to come and they be spoiled and besides they spoil the rest of the stuff. But there is one thing that always comes good, that is butter in all your parcels this summer. I never rec’d any spoiled. I told my chum when I left to open any of my parcels that came and he said if there was any socks or gloves in them he would keep them for me. But I’m beginning to think that very likely he will be wounded before this. The morning I came away he was in charge of the platoon, the Sergt had got hit.

How is Allies have they been down lately. I guess it is too far for them to come to be down very often. I wrote Alf a letter last night and told him a good line about the hard fighting we have been in. I was at an awfully good show last night. I was thinking of going back to London either tomorrow night or Friday morning.

The manager of the club here wants me to go out out to a farm with him on Friday. There is a busload going of about 15. But the fellow that came with me, we are chumming it here together, Overs is his name, He wants me to go back to London with him by Friday morning any way.

I know there is a lot of sights in London I would like to see too. Well I must ring off. My one pen is dry so I will finish with this one. I will write you again soon for it is a great thing to be able to write when you feel like it and you can say more here than just where you are. Do there ever be any censored out of my letters from France. My platoon officer censors them all but the green envelopes. I often say a little more in them. Well bye bye from your loving son and brother Bruce xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment