Oct 5 – Edinburgh

Dear mother & sister

I thought I had better write you a few more lines this morning and let you know what a grand time I am having. I hope this letter will find you well as it just leaves me fine. This is Saturday morning and looks very much like a fairly nice day. It has rained a little some time through the day every day I have been here yet.

I was through Edinburgh Castle yesterday afternoon and I may go through Holyrood Palace this afternoon. And on Sunday I will go to church morning and night and on Monday or Tuesday I want to go to see the Forth Bridge.

I got some photos taken yesterday. It will be about two weeks before I get them but soon as I get them I will send you one if they are any good.

How is Allies. I hope they are keeping well. I must send them a post card. I will put it in a letter and mail it to you and you can give it to them. This sure is a nice little place. The people sure try to do every thing they can to make a good time for the soldiers and sailors. When we got off the train at London there was cars waiting for us and took us up to the Maple Leaf Club where we got our cheques changed and got a good bath clean clothes also a dandy supper. They always meet trains at the station that Canadian soldiers come from France on. The old Channel was very rough coming over on the boat it never made me sick. I was just thinking how nice it would be to be pulling in to the port at Halifax instead of Dover.

I think I was awfully lucky on getting my leave when I did for I left the Battn fighting in a very hot place right near Cambria. I think Canada should be proud of her boys for what they have done this summer. I think they have made a better name than what they ever had done before. For French people give us great praise for what we done on the eighth and ninth of August. We put Friz’s long range gun out of reach that he used to shell Paris with. Paris is the 2nd largest city in the world and we drove him far enough back that the French people could come back to their homes in Amiens, that is the 2nd largest city in France. And now the French people are crowding back in to Arras again so I think they have a right to be proud of the Canadians for what they have done this summer. I know we have a good name here in Scotland. One I guess Canada will never lose, we are pick of the troops.

I believe that is how we get the hard places to fight in at times on count of our good name. If they know where we are going to have the hardest fighting they will put the Canadians there. They will sure get it for us alright.

Well I have had dinner since I started to write this letter. So I am well away until tea time now. I have kept a little diary with some dates in it I was thinking of sending it home for I do not want to take it back to France with me. If I do not send it I may write some of it out and send it to you. Just to have some dates when I get back that I can remember.

Well how is Ada. I guess feeling pretty gay with her oats. It will not belong until sleighing again.

I think the way things are looking I will be back before all the snow is gone next spring. I will hardly make it by Christmas for it is very likely we will have to stay here until about three months after peace is declared. But it will be pretty good here then.

Well I think I will soon have to ring off. I will write tomorrow and tell you what I saw this afternoon.

How is Cowans coming up. I must drop them a card. Say it is right about Jack Cowan and Hattie parting. Willie was telling me he heard so. Is John Speerin working at his home now. Him and George should get along good.

Well I must close with oceans of love from your loving son and brother Bruce xxxxxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment