Oct 7 – Edinburgh

Dear mother and sister

Just a few lines to let you know I am well and having a good time. Hoping this letter finds you well.

It has been raining here all day, not real heavy but enough to make it nasty for going out around. I was at a show this afternoon. Just got back and had tea. So I thought I had better get busy and write you. I was at church yesterday morning. And wrote a letter to Myrtle in the afternoon and was busting my self laughing at the Scottish girls talking in the evening. You should just hear some of those Scottish girls that speak, so very broad. It takes you guessing to understand them.

Now I do not want you to be worrying about me when I am out in France. Just pray for God to protect me. I know he has answered your prayers often for I know how close a man can come of being killed and never get scratched. I have been through the rough and smooth of it and know what gas is like. Some say that your rifle is your best friend but I believe my gas mask has been mine. I know it saved me once last winter from being gassed.

There is big peace talk in the paper now. I believe we will have peace before Christmas yet. I expect by the time I get back our Battn will be out on rest. We may not see any more fighting this fall or winter for we have fought so well this summer. I spent last Christmas and New Years in a French town called Divine. Our Battn would sooner billet there than any other town in France. Why these French people were awfully good to us there.

I had a little diary I was thinking of sending home but I have changed my mind. I am afraid it might go astray and give too much information away. Any way it will not be long until I be home and I will fetch it with me and it will get there sure. Well I must ring off. Bye bye from your loving son and brother Bruce xxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment