July 21 - France


Dear mother and sister

Just a few lines to let you know I am real well. Hoping this letter finds you the same. I received a letter from you a day or so ago was glad to know you were well. Was sorry to know that Lizzie’s hand was so sore. How did the dog come to bite it.

Well the weather is just dandy here this summer. All the gardens look good, both the heat and oats are colouring. They will soon be ripe. I saw Willie Douglas today he is quite well. Also Melville and the other boys in that Battn. Well July will soon be pretty well spent. I guess you will have the oats cut and in by the time you get this letter. Were they good this year.

I also saw Cliff White today too. He is in the same Battn as Will Douglas. I rec’d two parcels from you last week. They came in fine. Everything was good in them. The butter was dandy. And believe me a bit of good Canadian cake goes good over here. Say if I was you I would not send any more salmon. I will tell you what you can send instead if you like, that is cocoa. I mostly take some in the line with me, it comes in dandy to have a nice hot drink some nights when you’re standing on your post. Has Alexs’ been down lately, hope they are keeping well. I guess Roy will be a big boy now. He was sure a great lad the last time I saw them. And how big is little Grace. I think they sure picked a dandy name for her.

Well Lizzie how is you and Frank coming up does he be over to see you very often. He is Serg’t Major now isn’t he. Tell mother to get the chickens and ducks fat, I will be home to eat them by Christmas I think this old war will soon end. Bye bye with love from your loving son and brother Bruce xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment