Nov 24 – France, L Ward, 18th Gen Hosp

Dear mother and sister

Just a line to let you know I am getting along fine. You will know by my writing that my hand is better.

I have not had any mail for near a month now. I was expecting mail every day before I left the Battn for I had not had any for over a week then. But I wrote to the post Cpl of the Battn and told him to send it on to me. That was a week ago, so I am looking for mail any day now.

It is raining here today. It seems better to me to be sitting here than doing a route march or parade. Of course it gets tiresome sitting around here. And just hoping to soon get back home. But I think I will manage to get home by March any way. It may take to the first of the new year before peace is signed. Get Ada good and fat for I will be home to do lots of ploughing and other work with her this coming spring. I will show some of those folks around home how to farm.

A lot of people get it into their head that a man is no good after spending three or four years in the army. I think they will find they’re wrong. I think the most of the boys will take a larger interest in the work than ever. A lot of us really never knew what home meant to us until we came to France and believe me it did not take long then to find out how much it meant.

Now do not get it in to your heads that I am sorry I came to France. I never kicked myself about that. I am glad I came. It has done me a world of good. I am proud to be able to fight for a home and a country like I live in.

Any returned men that tells you tales about our Canadian YMCA being no good tell him to his face he is a liar. Men that says that have never seen the front line, never been with the fighting men. Been holidaying down in some bomb-proof job in England. I have put 15 months around the front line and have found the Canadian YMCA right up the line with the men. Believe me if I hear any one running them down they can prepare for a darn good striking.

I wish I could have been out of the hospital so I could have sent you a little Christmas present. Say I would not send any more parcels to me unless I let you know because very likely I will be on my way home before they would get here.

Any parcels that has came for me while I am away from the Battn I never expect to see for there is too many around the post office that likes parcels when you’re not there to get them.

For addressing any mail send it to the Battn. Use the same address. Very likely I will be kept at the base until the Battn comes there. They are near into Germany now. Been having some big route marches. Some of the boys have been coming down with sore feet. I guess I am lucky to be down here for I have a good idea what the marches are like with full march on those hard cobblestone roads.

Well I must ring off. Do not be worrying about me just think it will not be long until I march in home. Bye bye from your loving son and brother Bruce xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment