Aug 22 – France

Dear mother and sister

Just a few lines to let you know I am real well. Hoping this letter finds you well. I received a letter from you today dated Aug 5th. Glad to know you are keeping well. I also rec’d a letter from you a few nights ago with a dollar in it. I went to the YMCA and got some chocolate and biscuits with it. But don’t send any more for I get along nicely with what I get out here. You know as I do not either smoke nor drink all the money I get I buy eats with it, so I mostly fair pretty good with it.

Well today and yesterday has been two of the warmest days we have had this summer. I have just come back from the cook house, I was over scalding my water bottle out with boiling water and then filled it with nice cold water. Well I must ring off to after supper, tea is up now.

Well I have had my supper and I will try and finish my letter now. I guess you have heard of the good work the Canadians have done this last while. I came through quite safe although we lost some awfully good fellows. But our casualties was small. It was sure a great sight. It was the first time I seen everybody take part out here. A lot of the boys got kit bags full of souvenirs. I did not bother with any myself. I have enough to carry without carrying them.

I think if we keep on pounding at him for a while he will be darn glad to give up before winter. Believe me we have not got much mercy for old Friz’s now, he has killed too many of our good comrades.

How is every little thing around Moonstone. Sorry to hear Allie does not keep very well. Tell him not to be worrying about me for I am having a high old time, the best of health and loads of fun. I guess Annie has a busy time minding Roy and Grace.

Well I have not got my leave yet but hope to get it shortly. My bedmate just got back a few days ago. I guess you have been pretty busy lately with the harvest.

Well I must ring off hoping to hear from you soon again. Do not be worrying for I am quite well. Trust in God and I will soon be safe back home. Bye bye from your ever loving son and brother Bruce xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment