1918

Jan 5 – France


Dear mother and sister

I received your welcome letter and card last night and there is no need of me saying how glad I be to hear from you dear ones at home. Your letter was dated Dec 1st. I also rec’d the parcel Alex sent it came OK and I sure enjoyed the contents. I do hope this letter will find you well as it leaves me just fine. I had a letter written yesterday ready to send when I rec’d yours so I burnt it.

Well I have been having a pretty good time lately been having a little rest. I have had a couple of good shower baths this week so I feel pretty clean. I also got clean clothing so I feel pretty clean and fresh as a chicken.

I am learning to talk French fast. Where I am billeted the old lady makes us coffee every night and if you go in to a French house you have got to have a cup of coffee before going out. They say “Oui” for Canada. We have got winter weather here just now. A little snow on the ground and cold. I guess there will be oceans of snow around home now.

I am glad to know that you keep Ada well shod for if you don’t she will get lame on you. But watch her in the deep snow with sharp shoes. I know you can handle her better then I can for you made out fine last winter.

What kind of a new years day did you have. I had pretty good one, it is a big day among the French people. I must close hoping to hear from you soon again and don’t be worrying for I am quite well and well protected.

From your son and brother Bruce Speerin xxxx

Ps I am sending a few lines in this letter for Allie. Give them to him first time you see him.

Bruce.

No comments:

Post a Comment