Feb 7 – France


Dear mother and sister

I have now got a chance to write you a few lines. I know that you will be worrying about not getting any mail from me. But I guess you will know how it is, we cannot get a chance to write every day. I hope these few lines will find you well as I am just fine at present.

I was just thinking this is my birthday. I am spending it in the trenches. But I hope to spend it at home next year. I rec’d two parcels from you the other night and believe me they sure went good. There is sure some difference between the cake and the hard tack biscuit we have. The butter was dandy. Everything was just fine. The boys said, ‘Bruce your mother just knows the right things to send a fellow out here.’

The fruit was OK. I believe it was the best I ever tasted. I see I am going to have lots of good fruit to eat when I get home. Was it you that made the candy, Lizzie that was in the one box. It was a round cake. I know you cannot buy candy like it. My mouth is just watering for more of it. The salmon and sardines went good. It is sure some better than bully beef.

And the sugar came fine. We had some cocoa we brought in the line with us so the Corps of my section would make up a mess tin of good hot cocoa and fetch it out to us on our post about 12 o’clock at night and believe me it makes the rest of the cold wet night pass quicker. So don’t worry about me. Our section Corp will have the best for his section that can be got.

I received a card from May Robinson the other night. Tell her I will write to her right away. I guess you will have bushels of snow around home now. How long did Aunt Hattie stay at Christmas, I often have a letter from cousin Hattie. How is all Allies. I suppose Alf and Tom Cowan is busy doing chores. Do you ever hear from Will or Alex Douglas. I haven’t for a long time. Who have they got for a minister at Moonstone now. Have you ever been down to Dunlops lately. I think they feel bad over Jack having to go. I think it was pretty near time for one out of a big bunch of them to go.

Well I must close hoping to hear from you soon again and do not be worrying I am quite alright. It will not be long until I be home again.

Bye bye from your loving son and brother Bruce Speerin xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment