June 9 - France

Dear mother and sister

Just a few lines to let you know I was thinking of you. Hoping that you are well as I am in the best of health. I received a letter from you a few days ago and I sure was glad to hear from you. I have not had any parcels from you for a long time but there has been no body getting any until this last day or two. They were held back for some reason or other and I was thinking if you put any butter in them they would be spoiled. So I think it would be better not to put any more butter in the parcels for the weather is too warm for it.

Well this is Sunday and a dull day it has been. There was a little base ball game this evening, our team got beat.

Well haven’t much news to tell you. The French people are all busy hoeing their gardens and sugar beets. They grow lots of beets in this country. And some of the farmers are cutting hay. A good rain would do oceans of good. You would see the grain pick up a bit.

I often think you be wondering what kind of beds we have to sleep on. Quite often it is wire bunks made of chicken coop wire. There is more spring to it than laying on the floor. And I often think you be wondering what kind of officers we have in charge of us. On the whole they are pretty fair. We have an awfully good officer in charge of our platoon. Now I only hope we can keep him for he is the best I have had any thing to do with.

Well I guess it will be the first of July or more when you get my letter. I hope you have a good time. I hear that the 12th of July is to be held at Coldwater, is it right. Oh say those snaps were pretty good. I have not had my leave yet, I guess you know that the leave had been shut down when Friz’s started his funny work but they have opened again and I hope it does not be too long before I get it.

Oh say was Myrtle and her people out to see you she told me in her letter she was going out. Write me a big long letter and tell me lots of news.

Well I must close do not be worrying dear ones for I am quite well with love from your loving son and brother Bruce xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment