March 10 – France

Dear mother and sister

I hope these few lines will find you well. I am fine at present. I have just brought my blanket out to lay on the grass and write letters and sun myself. It is a peach of a day here. I see the farmers working in a field close by. It don’t make any difference to them. Suppose it is Sunday and I can hear the old guns roaring away as usual. Burns is laying a long side of me writing too. The rest of the boys are all quite well.

Say I have had a little sleep since I wrote the first page. I fell to sleep in the sun and sleep until Burns called me for supper. And when I got in a found a letter and parcel waiting for me from you. Your letter was dated Feb 11th and the box was the one Lizzie sent me with the writing pad in it. And now you have no idea how glad I be to hear from you and know that you are well. I believe that you have had awfully cold stormy winter. I know it must have been hard for you to manage getting wood and doing chores. But I hope the snow will soon be all gone and you will be able to get out around a bit.

I saw in the Orillia Times tonight where the Hearlys (sp) boys and Lumree and Morrisson was exempted. Some of them must have a pitiful tale. I didn’t think there was so many around home with cold feet. But never mind, wait until the boys get home. Believe me then they will have to take a back seat.

Well I sure enjoyed your box. Not me alone but my whole section and the boys say ‘Well Bruce your mother seems to know just what to send.’ How good it is to get some good home made butter. Some change to margarine. I do not think there is anything better to send then what you dear ones send me.

I have not seen Douglas or Melville Belfry or Dave for a long time but expect to see them tomorrow. I will let you know if I do. I got two or three more snaps sent me that we had taken in England. Herb Rumball sent them to me, he is in France too. Well I must close do not be worrying dear mother and sister I am quite well and trust in God to take care of me and bring me safe home again. I am your loving son and brother Bruce Speerin xxxx

Ps give Allies my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment