June 23 - France

Dear mother and sister

Just a few lines to let you know I am well. This has been Sunday and it has been trying to rain too. I have not had any letters from you for a week but I have got a lot of parcels lately. I got another parcel from you today. That is about six I have had from you the last two weeks and I got one from Mrs. Dunlop, one from Myrtle also one from the IODE from Victoria Harbour. So I have done pretty good for parcels lately, and also some magazines from May R.

Well how are you coming along farming. I guess you finds lots of hoeing to do. I hear Moonstone is looking up. Is it right about Tom Sykes purchasing a nice Overland Car. Has any the rest of them bought cars this year. I had a letter from Marjorie Burns a few days ago wanting to know all about Wallace. I wrote her and told her as much about him as I could.

I am sending Lizzie a little brooch tomorrow. I am going to make this letter short. There is church service in the YMCA in about a half a hour. I intend going. I saw a nasty piece in the Jack Canuck paper a few days ago about the YMCA. It was a returned soldier which had put it in. I don’t think he must have ever saw France or if he did he must have had a bomb proof ten miles from the line. He said that he never saw a YMCA any closer than 10 miles of the line. Any of the boys here can tell you they have YMCA’s within one mile of the front line and they serve good hot tea there too free of charge. That is Canadian YMCA. Imperial YMCA mostly charges a penny though.

Well I must soon close. I saw Capt McDonald just passing by the door now. You know his brother is in this Battn.

Say every thing was just dandy in the parcel I rec’d today. The honey and butter were of the best and the candy was dandy. Now do not be worrying dear mother and sister. I am quite well. Bye bye from your loving son and brother Bruce S xxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment