April 14

St. John


Dear mother & sister

I am just fine hoping this letter will fine you in the best of health. I have been around through the city today and I just run in to the soldiers club this evening to write a letter to you. I expected to get a letter from you today but did not. I had a look at the Orillia Packet today there was some of them came to us. Say we are putting in a swell old time down here, no drill to do.

How is Ada, tell me all the news about Moonstone when you write. Say has Allie been down home yet.

Do you mind that little other boy that used to be at Gilbert Nelson, I meet him here the other night. He is in the 217th Battn comes from Regina in the west and I also met a boy from the Harbour, Bruce Crooke, and there is two or three nice little girls here from the Harbour too. I hear one of my old girls in Victoria Harbour is married too. Grace Lylie, ha ha, I shouldn’t worry. Boys can find girls wherever they go. Talk about good looking ones it is down here where you find them.

Say I had a good chat to Frank, yesterday. He is worrying about Nellie, he told me lots of news about her. By his talk they were engaged to be married she even got some of his money and put it in the bank in her own name. Do you mind the time you drove her to the Harbour she went to see him at Barrie that time. I have lots of news to tell you. I don’t know how much longer we are going to be here so if you don’t happen to get any mail we will likely be sailing, so don’t worry I am fine wherever I am and lots of friends wherever I go. Oh yes I forgot to tell Lizzie about a nice young fellow was asking about her. He is in 6 platoon no 2 Coy. He is from Waubashine. Raymond is his name, he has not the red curls he had when he used to see us in Waubaushine.

Well I think I had better close. By the time I go and call on my friend it will be time for us to go to the show and it is such a nice night too. Both Douglas and Hugh are fine and so is little Dave and all my chums. I will write often when I am here and soon as I get over there I will write. I expect I will get a letter from you Monday or Tuesday anyway and keep writing they will send them to us wherever we are. Well bye bye from your loving son and brother Bruce

(did a trademark with a heart shape, cross in the middle with barbs around the perimeter)

No comments:

Post a Comment