April 5

St. Rosalie


Dear mother & sister

Just a few lines to let you know I am well having a fine time, I just wish you were here with me to see some of the sights they are grand.

When we come through Toronto yesterday the people were all standing waving flags and rags at us. Mrs. Russell was down to see us she had a box for me and Myrtle give me a box too at the station so I have lots of good eatables to eat and the people of Orillia gave Major Wallace a sum of money in cash to buy comforts for us on our trip. We have candy of all kinds to eat lots of maple sugar, oranges and everything.

There is some fine farming country between here and home. We came through Montreal about 7 o’clock this morning. There was big crowd at Orillia station yesterday when we left.

I don’t know where we are going to sail from but I expect it will be Halifax. There is to be 50 different trains of soldiers to come through Montreal today. The 227th is just gone ahead of us. We are not alone.

Say I don’t know if I will get a chance to write to you from Halifax or not. I heard that they wouldn’t let us write from there it may not be right though. I dropped you a card last night I think it was about Belleville where I posted it. I will write right away again. I expect we will be travelling all night, it may be near noon tomorrow before we get to Halifax. Don’t worry about me I will write again soon. Bye bye from your loving son and brother Bruce

I was sorry I did not see Allie but tell him to get somebody to write him a letter to me once and a while. If I thought they would get their mail at Midland I would write to them. I hope they are well. I was told Allie was come down to Orillia on Thursday, it was too bad if he got down there and me not there or did you phone him. I guess it will be a while before I get a letter from you. You can soon send a letter to the Army Post Office for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment