May 20

Otterpool Camp, England


Dear mother & sister

I hope this letter will find you in the best of health and getting along fine. This is my third letter since landing but you know that there is so many ships sunk, I wanted to make sure you got one. We arrived here safe last Monday, May 14th and do you know I never was a bit sick all the way over. I enjoyed the trip fine.

We are quarantined in here for mumps. I have not got them but I don’t know how I have missed them. Soon as we get out of our quarantine we are going to be moved to another camp, I expect that the Machine G.S. will be going to a camp near London and the rest is going to West Sandling camp it is only three miles from here.

England is quite a spot but I prefer Canada. Things seem too old fashioned here. I hope we will soon get our pass. We will have a few pretty good days then. I haven’t spent much money since I left. I bought a piece of cake once and a while, things are too dear over here. I will make up for it when I go on my pass. It is no trick to count English money. I have seen a few fellows I know already.

How are you making out farming. No little colt yet. How is Allies. Well I think I had better close. Have any of the boys got brave enough to enlist yet. I hear that they are getting Conscription in Canada, that will make them come to it.

Write often and tell me lots of news for I often wonder how things are at home and I know that you be wondering about me but don’t worry over me. I am fine and it won’t be long to I be home again with you. I guess old Ada will have pretty near forgotten me by this time. Well I must close. Bye bye. My address is #853160 Machine Gun Section 177th Battn, BEF, Army Post Office, London England.

From your loving son and brother Bruce xx

No comments:

Post a Comment