May 26

Moore Barracks Hospital, Shorncliffe


Dear mother & sister

I hope this letter will find you both well. I have got the mumps at last and they sent me up here to the hospital on Wednesday the 23rd and believe me, I have lots of company here with me. I am not at all sick but they keep me in bed until today. I am up around, there is not a bit the matter with me. I had a mighty slight touch of mumps. But I expected that they will keep us here for twenty one days anyways. Anything that is contagious they have to keep you so long. But I am sure I be quite satisfied if I had to stay here for two months. I bet if I told you what all we got to eat here you would not believe me. I get chicken, eggs, good beef, fried potatoes. And lots of milk. Oh anything you want I just finished eating a big apple.

Well I did not get my letter finished yesterday. I started fooling with some other fellows and did not get time to finish it. I feel as large as life. I am getting outside today. Well this is Sunday May the 27th and a dandy day it is too. This is some hospital over two thousand people in it. But you know not all mumps. A lot of crippled soldiers. Some shell shocked.

Well how goes farming, which of you acts as teamster. I would like to be watching you trying to plough the garden. I bet you would not plough much. How is Ada, no little colt yet. Where is she pasturing.

Have you seen anything of Alex’s lately do they be down I hope they are well. I for one think that I should have gone up to seen Allie the last pass I had. I could have went up on the train. He maybe thinking I wasn’t wanting to, for I had promised him to go up. But when I get back I will often go to see him, and if I know their address I would write to them. I bet young Roy is making things fly this spring. I hope Annie is better.

Well there has been no Canadian mail come to us yet. Only some which had been over here before we came. There was three letters for me, one from V. Harbour, and two from Orillia with some snaps in it. How is everybody around Moonstone. I suppose they often be asking if you have word from me. I hear they are going to get Conscription in Canada. Is it right? I bet that will get some of them going, a lot of cold feet. Ha. Ha. It will take some socks for them.

Well how did you spend the 24th of May. I spent it in the hospital in bed that day. I mind where I spend it a year ago, it was my last day home on the spring furlough and I was to a box social at Rosemount that night. They have some pretty looking little towns here. I will be able to tell you more when I get my pass. I don’t know where I am going yet but I want to see some of the boys from home. They will be looking for me.

Well it will soon be two months since I was home and it only seems like two weeks to me. We have been seeing so much, it has been taking up the time. Has any of Uncle Tom’s ever been up, and do you ever hear from Aunt Maggie or Aunt Harriet. Say if you want to see some good flower gardens you should just come over here. I seen a lot coming from the camp up to the hospital.

Well I don’t know what they are going to do with our Battn. I understand that us machine gun fellows is going to a school near London. Well I must ring off. My address here is Moore Barracks Hospital, Shorncliffe. But I will be out of here before you get this letter. Well now don’t you worry about me for I am alright and have the best of care. Putting in a gay time. Well must close, bye bye from your loving son and brother Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment