May 15

Otterpool Camp


Dear mother & sister

I hope this letter will find you both well. Did you get my other letter. I am writing another for fear you didn’t get it. Well I have landed in England safe and sound. I never was seasick on my trip. We arrived at camp on Monday evening. We are quarantined for mumps. There was a few cases of mumps on the boat. One fellow died with them, his name was Kerr he came from Elmvale. We are going to be shut in here for ten days. I expect then we are going to another camp I think it is called Sandling Camp. They call this one Otterpool.

It is raining here this evening, the fields are nice and green, the gardens are up nice. They have some good looking cows in this country and lots of sheep. I wish you were here to see the country. It is a lot better then I ever expected but I think the food is a little scarcer here. Lots of the girls are working in the fields here.

Well, I started this letter last night but I didn’t get it finished. This is Wednesday. We were out for a short route march this morning. There is six hours difference here and the time at home, we be in bed when it is only about 3 o’clock in the afternoon here. Hugh was sick when we came off the boat and they put him in the hospital. I think our Bttn will soon be broken up.

We see lots of aeroplanes here. How are you and Ada getting along. Are you getting along farming. We had a medical exam yesterday. I made out fine on it. Fred Holt is right along side of our Battn. I was talking to him the first night I was here. Oh it will not be long to I be back home again. I think the war will soon come to end.

Has anybody enlisted around Moonstone lately. Well I guess we will have to ring off for this time. Write often from your loving son and brother Brucexx

#853160 Pt

Machine Gun Section

177th Battn Army P,O London, England

No comments:

Post a Comment