April 9

St. John


Dear mother & sister

I hope this letter will find you well. We have been doing some travelling lately. We got to Halifax on Saturday morning and started back to St. John about 6 o’clock Sunday morning and I think we are going to stay here for a while now. We will likely be here three or four weeks anyway. I don’t know what they mean though.

I didn’t think much of Halifax but I like this place. Say there is a very nice place between here and Halifax. It is called Moncton. We were out of the train going through there yesterday evening and had a little march through the town.

Say things are like olden days coming through lower part of Quebec. They’re good looking farming country but their barns are very small. I don’t know where they put the stuff they grow. There is some great R.C. Churches and all French people. They don’t drive in nice buggies like we do. They have the old fashioned riggs, the first I ever saw. I wouldn’t care if I had a nice farm down near this city.

How many letters did you get from me I sent 2 letters and a card or two.

It is snowing here today. We will have a good time drilling here, we have no rifles to bother with and we are invited out to tea to one of the Presbyterian churches tomorrow evening and we had this afternoon a holiday. So we are in for a good time. You can write for I expect to be here for a while. Well bye bye from your loving son and brother Bruce

#853160 Pte J.B. Bruce Speerin

B. Coy. 177th Battn CEF St. John New Brunswick

No comments:

Post a Comment