August 12

Dear mother & sister


I hope this letter will find you well as I am fine. I was looking for some Canadian mail today but I guess it will not be along until about Tuesday. I got a letter from Sykes at the Harbour the other night. Oh yes I forgot to tell you I got the papers you sent me.

Did you hear about Clarence getting wounded. It was a quite a while ago. He is quite better again and back fighting the last I heard of him. I think that has been two slight ones for him. How are you making out. I suppose the people is busy harvesting. I know they have started around here now.

I am going to renew my Machine Gun Course this week. They don’t want us to forget it. A fellow got to be able to do any thing in this war. Say I am sending you a snap in this that was taken on the boat of the Destroyer boat that was with us. It was taking when we were about half way across, it was the sixth day I think. Have you got any snaps taken lately. Get some more whenever you can.

Well I have not gone to France yet and I expect it may be another month before we go, that is if the war is not over. They have got bunches of men in France. None of our Battn has been taken yet, only 3 or four of our officers. The last thing our old Col. McPhee told us was not to neglect writing home. The old fellow was so well taken up with us the tears came in his eyes when he left us. We have only Capt Wallace with us now. Lt. Orr is gone with the air men. He wrote a letter to Sergeant Burns, now is Pte Burns, to read to us all. He was all ways wanting to get us to gather and get a picture taken but we never got it. But he says he has got a far better picture in his mind. He says he could write down a roll of every one of us and our next of kin. I wish you could have just read the letter. Say do any of my letters be censored. None of yours has ever been.

Well bye bye mother and sister. I remain your loving son and brother Bruce xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment