December 20

Dear mother & sister


Just a few lines in answer to your welcome letter I rec’d the other day . It is no need to say how glad I be to hear from you dear ones. I got a parcel from you tonight, it had the duck in it and the box was spoiled, all but the sardines. But I know how you wanted me to have duck for Christmas and I feel it just as good as if it had not been spoiled.

I hope this letter will find you well and I do hope that you have a pleasant Christmas. I know it would have been better if I only had of been there. Was Alex down. How are they. I guess Allie would feel lonesome without me being there. I rec’d a parcel sent by the Red Cross people the other day. It had been packed by Stella Smyth. Is it her that is teaching at Moonstone now. Is her home in Orillia. Ask her if she knows Mable Floris (sp) and if she minds seeing me at Mable’s last winter one Sunday.

I saw Will Speerin yesterday. He is well. I see in the paper were some of the boys has to enlist, how do they like that. If my vote will help they will get a chance to come over but I think you will have to send them lots of socks if they come. What the poor girls going to do I guess they will have to come too.

Well mother you may be glad to be able to say that your son is not a Conscript. It made me laugh the other day when I was looking at the Orillia Times and saw what some of the poor fellows had tried for exemption. Poor fellows I feel sorry for them, ha ha. Let me know who comes from around home, it would do me good. Of course I hope this war is over before they get here but I would like some of them to know they can have Conscription in Canada if they want it. Some thought no.

I had a letter from Tom Cowan the other day. Tell him I am answering it right away. Well I must close I will write again before Christmas. Remember I am ever your loving son and always thinking of you. I send you oceans of love from your loving son and brother Bruce Speerin xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment