July 26

Dear mother and sister


I received your letter that you posted at Orillia. I got it on the 24th and I got a letter from Myrtle that was wrote on the fourth of July. I got it on Wednesday. I also got a box from Mrs. McClung. There was two pair of socks in it.

I was glad to hear that you are well. I would have answered before this but I had no time. I was in the trenches all Tuesday night. It is a good sport. I was through the gas chamber today. With the gas mask on. Just to let us see what the gas looks like. If I don’t be gone to France before the beginning of the week I will be back shooting on the ranges.

Well what kind of a time did you have on the first. Myrtle was out was she. Did you get any snaps taken. Write and tell me all she had to say. She told me in her letter that the Burnfield girls were taking great looks at her. They’d know who she was alright. Does any of the people around Moonstone ask about me.

Well I am ready for France any old time. I feel quite well. Don’t you worry about me. I am quite well wherever I am. And in good keeping. I will be brought safe home again and maybe I will be able to make the work for you dear ones a little easier.

Hugh Addison just got here yesterday from L/Pool hospital. He was glad to see me. I get lots of mail, I can hardly get time to write to them all but I do certainly like to get mail. I got two dollars in your last letter. It came in good for I just had to pay 17 shillings for a pair of boots, that is $4.08. I got a pair stolen in Orillia last winter so to get a new pr of boots to be ready for France. I either had to turn in an old pair or buy a new one. So I turned in the old pair I was wearing and bought a new pair, so I have two new pairs of boots now.

Well write and tell me a whole book of news, I know you have lots. I will write you again on Sunday. Do you get my letters, I hope you do for I often think that you be worrying about me. It makes me feel uneasy, but I wish you would have a better time and do not worry.

Say Lizzie Frank Tindall was in Moore Barrack Hospital and I did not know he was there when I was in it. He went to London today I was told. So I did not get seeing him. I must ring off Hugh just come in for me to go down to his hut, he just got a big box from the Burnfield girls tonight. So I see where I am in for another feed. So bye bye from your loving son and brother Bruce xxxx

Ps, you can ring Mrs. H. McClung up on the phone and tell her I got her box OK and tell her I am writing her a letter on Sunday thanking her very much. Bye bye

No comments:

Post a Comment