September 23

Dear mother & sister


I hope these few lines will find you well as I am fine. I have not had a chance to get up the line yet. Say Ed and Clarence Speerin is right close beside us. I see them every night. They are both well. I have met a lot of fellows I know, Dave Greenlaw from Vasey. Russell Middleton, Harold McClean is in the same hut that Ed is in. Oh yes I met Whit Stewart . I have meet all the D. Coy and C. Coy fellows of the 157. I have not had any mail for a long while now. Clarence was telling me he had got a couple of letters from his home and they said every thing was dull around Moonstone but they had great crops.

Well I like France fine. It has been a fine trip for us. But I think Ontario has any place I have been beat yet to own it for your home. Well how are you dear ones getting along. I guess you will be busy picking apples when you get this letter and digging potatoes. Did you have many. Were you at Coldwater Fair. Was it any good and what about Moonstone Fair. Some crowd at it I suppose.

Well I want you to cheer up and don’t feel blue because I am in France. For I am alright having the best of time and don’t worry for it will not be long before I be back home again. This war is not going to last forever. I got up here before Alex Douglas after all, he is still at the base. I am in the first bunch of us Simcoes to get this far.

I had a good hot shower bath this morning and am going to church at the YMCA this afternoon. My address is 4th Battn BEF Canadians France. I have about a dozen letters to write today then I will look for a bunch.

I suppose the people around Moonstone been asking you about me. How is Cowans coming on. Oh yes have you got a pig this year. How is Ada. Where did you pasture her this summer. Who is teaching at Moonstone this year. How is Alexs. How many horses has he this year. Has he got a little colt.

Well I must soon ring off or it will be dinner time. Tell me lots of news. How is Dunlops coming up do they ever ask about me. Well I must close with lots of love from your loving son and brother Bruce. S. xxxxxx

Ps. I was expecting to find Clarence quite a boozer but was badly fooled. He never touches it at all. He is a pretty fair fellow to be in this game. He has had a taste of the front line and Ed is good too. Neither of them touches beer and I guess you know how much I touch it. Well bye bye from B.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment