September 2

Dear mother & sister


Just a few lines to you so to let you know I am well hoping that you are the same. Well I am still in England. I have been looking to go to France for a week now. The last letter I got from you was a week ago. Yesterday I got the two boxes that you sent. That is three I have got from home. Two from the Red Cross at Moonstone, one from Myrtle and one from Mrs. McClung and one from Mrs. Albert Sykes. So that is not so bad.

Say when you sent me the next box you can put in a pair of gloves if you like. Don’t get dear ones for I may lose them. But I thought they would come in good in the cold nights in the fall and I have a pair of woollen ones I am taking with me. Mitts are no good for you can’t handle a rifle with them. You need something with fingers in so as to be able to press the trigger well. I am looking for a letter from you tomorrow. I can nearly always tell when I am going to get mail from home.

It has been a quite a while since we landed here. I never thought we would put so long in England and I guess you did not either. How are you getting a long with the fall work. I can’t think it is so late as it is. Another month and it is fall fair time. Write and tell me about Coldwater fair and also the school fair at home. Well I expect to soon meet Clarence and Ed. Also Fred and John. All the old Moonstone boys. I will run across them some time. Has Alexs been down lately, how are all them. And is Ada feeling, pretty gay. I guess she would hardly know me now.

We have been having battle practice all week. It is good sport and especially when you have a good officer with you. It means a lot. The one that was over our platoon was a returned fellow. He has been to France twice and got wounded. He sure knows his job. I wish he was going to France with us. Did I tell you I got the papers you sent me alright.

Well I think I had better ring off for this time. Oh yes I have lots of socks for a while yet. I have more than I can carry with me. I will close with lots of love to you both and hoping to hear from you soon. I remain as ever your loving true son and brother Bruce xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment